Friday, February 12, 2010

Is it true that a woman's hands and feet get slightly bigger (in terms of surface area) when she is pregnant?

When a woman is pregnant, her hands and feet increases slightly in size due to increased production of hormones (i.e. estrogen) and / or swolleness????Is it true that a woman's hands and feet get slightly bigger (in terms of surface area) when she is pregnant?
Yes, especially the feet. But, for me, at least, my feet did not stay that way. I didn't notice any change in my hands.





During pregnancy, you have a higher water content and actually a higher blood volume. You also produce hormones called relaxin which loosen your ligaments to prepare you for giving birth. Sometimes that can make your feet stretch out and get larger.Is it true that a woman's hands and feet get slightly bigger (in terms of surface area) when she is pregnant?
Absolutley. I keep saying that my feet look like SHREK!! ha. Mostly its swelling/water retention. For some they permanently go up a 1/2 size or so in shoes! bummer!!





I also had to take off my watch and wedding ring this week becuase they were hurting. Not everyone has problems with water retention or swelling, but I've definitely had it. Hands %26amp; feet are most common.





[ 39 weeks ]
Yes and the increase in size isn't necessarily temporary. Not only did I get swollen with my pregnancy, I went up an entire shoe size PERMANENTLY!!! The same thing also happened to my Mom.





My hands got swollen too but I don't know if they grew permanently like my feet.
yup its true im 36 weeks pregnant :)
Yes, my hands and feet were a little swollen towards the end of my pregnancy. It was temporary due to the water I was retaining.
Its true. Your feet will generally grow half a size with a pregnancy. They won't go back to normal either. The hands I haven't heard about but it stands to reason that if your feet grow your hands would too. Just think of it as an excuse to get more shoes.
Only your feet get big but that's only because they get swollen when you and your body are putting to much pressure on them!
Yes, it's true. The swelling doesn't usually start until late 2nd trimester or 3rd trimester. It's not a hormone issue, though, it's caused by all the extra blood and fluid in the pregnant woman's body.
i think ever person is different
Mine did not change at all, I think it depends on the individual.
Relaxin the hormone that allows the ligament in the pelvis to relax so the pelvis can enlarge, also relaxes all ligaments, and the blood vessels as well (to help accomidate more blood).





This relaxing of the ligaments also causes the ribcage to expand and the feet. Not sure about the hands but probably.
slightly?! I havent been able to put my rings on, and my shoes are way too tight, for over a month now!

No comments:

Post a Comment